Social Media Reporter
at NBC News
We are looking for an experienced Social Media reporter to discover stories and drive newsgathering across a wide variety of NBCU shows and platforms.
The candidate should have a strong interest in both domestic and international news, with significant knowledge of social media platforms and proven reporting skills. The candidate should be able to work under pressure, take direction well, and excel at discovering information, including photos and videos, across social media. The editor will work as part of team to develop innovative ways to gather information and tell stories, serving all NBC News digital and television brands.
Candidates should ideally have previous experience working a news room and the ability to generate their own story ideas. They should be comfortable covering stories across a variety of topics – from breaking news to criminal justice to sports to pop culture. They must be team players who are comfortable collaborating across platforms.
- Monitor social media platforms for NBC News’ newsgathering hub.
- Discover and break news through social media platforms and tools.
- Collaborate with NBC News digital and television units on newsgathering and social media initiatives.
- Work with journalists across NBC News to integrate social and editorial content.
- Discover, locate and interview newsmakers, eye witnesses and other notable and interesting news subjects.
- Participate in special projects, pitch fresh ideas, and assist senior editors as needed.
- Ability to write and articulate capsules and summaries as necessary.
- Undergraduate degree, preferably in journalism, political science or English.
- At least three years working in social media at either a news operation or agency with a focus on news and storytelling.
- Demonstrated ability to use social media to discover stories.
- Must have proven experience using data to inform and improve social media and newsgathering.
- Interested candidates must submit a resume/CV through nbcunicareers.com to be considered.
- Must be willing and able to work flexible hours including evenings/late hours and weekends.
- Must have the desire to work in a creative, demanding, competitive environment.
- Native curiosity in just about everything, and desire to look far and wide for good stories.
- Experience covering breaking news in competitive environments.
- Strong communication skills, as well as attention to detail.
- Ability to write content that can be easily published
- Bilingual or multilingual skills.