Studio Assistant / Junior Photographer
This role will start as Studio Assistant and progress to Junior Photographer over time, reporting to the Senior Photographer as well as working alongside the Staff Photographer as part of the training process. Primary responsibility of this role in the long term will be to provide studio/location photography (editorial and commercial) as required by Future’s in-house Photo Studios, whose primary activity is to service the photographic requirements of Future’s business activities.
A passion for working in a studio environment, and a willingness to learn lighting and technical skills associated with a high quality image output is essential.
The role requires flexibility, strong organisation skills, good communication and problem solving skills, and above all the creative and technical ability and knowledge to undertake a wide-range of studio and location photographic shoots. There may also be some requirement for video work.
Training and development from the Senior Studio Photographer will be provided on an on-going basis to help develop the Junior Photographer’s skills and expertise over time.
In addition, this role will be required to support other members of the Studio team and some wider creative business teams when required, eg video.
The role may require some travel to meet the needs of the business.
Key role responsibilities
In the long term, photography will be on a daily-basis and will vary depending on Future’s business needs and the workload of the Studio.
When training has concluded, photographic responsibilities will include:
- Ensuring a high-level of quality for all images supplied to meet the client’s brief.
- Delivering images via Studio as fast as required by the clients.
- Ensuring accurate metadata (using Photo Studio templates) is included in all images prior to delivery/upload.
- Ensuring that all workflow systems/processes are adhered to ensure centralised content management.
- Be familiar with all Future’s magazines/events/business areas to know what’s required from each shoot.
- Provide friendly, helpful, pro-active ‘service’ to all clients and subjects.
- Video – develop video photography skills with the aim of being able to deliver what the business needs.
- Work alongside staff photographer to monitor and maintain equipment..
- When required provide technical/photographic support to other internal creative teams (eg. CS Video, Future Fusion.), other members of the Photo Studio team and Studio clients
- Work with the rest of the Studio team to ensure that any ‘consumables’ are kept in stock as required to meet the needs of the Photo Studios. This includes items such as background rolls, batteries, bulbs etc. All purchases must be approved prior to any spend.
- Health & Safety – ensure that you are aware of any H&S requirements and undertake ‘risk assessment’ requirements, especially on location shoots. It is your responsibility to maintain your working studio/space as a well-organised, well stocked, tidy and safe working area.
- Liaise with clients where necessary, ensuring clear communication and updates etc.
- Liaise with other departments/suppliers when necessary.
- Help to make Future’s magazines fresh and stylish by keeping abreast of current trends in photography and, where possible, setting new trends.
- Adaptable and flexible
- Ad-hoc problem solving skills
- Ability to work under pressure
- Time management – ability to juggle the quality v time v effort to meet efficiency needs of the business.
- Willingness to learn
- Good communication skills
- Ability to understand and interpret a creative brief
- Full driving licence